Are you a member of the very exclusive over 40 and can't sleep club?
Welcome! Pull up a glider and grab your chamomile tea. Let's talk about it. First of all, I'm right there with you. Second, if there is one thing you can count on around here it is this: if I am having an issue, I will hit the databases of my University library and research until I have answers. And then you get the answers I try and like.
Let's talk about the Why first, and then figure out what to do about it.
Why you might be experiencing sleep problems:
- Hormonal issues - estrogen and progesterone fluctuate in your forties (welcome to the fun times!)
- Stress - mind racing, going through your to-do list, thinking about what you didn't finish during the day or how busy you are...
- Irregular Sleep Patterns - staying up late and waking early one night and trying to shift it the next
Tips to help you get to sleep and stay asleep:
- Relax your mind and body before bed - take a bath, think about a few things you are grateful that day
- Create a Peaceful Sleep Environment - try a fan for 'white noise' or use an app to create soothing sounds on a timer; keep the room temp regulated so that it is nice and cool because there is nothing worse than sleeping in a sweltering room
- Make your Bed Inviting - get a really quality comforter and up your thread count on those sheets. try some better pillows and see how you feel
- Stay Active - get more active during the day so that your body is rest and recover at night
- Ditch the bright lights - stay off of the computer and phone because those lights are not doing a thing for your peace of mind or your poor brain when it comes to getting yourself set up for success in sleeping
- Set yourself up for comfort - go shopping for some comfortable jammies and ditch the 20-year-old flannels
- Try Soothing scents - lavender creams or a bath with lavender soap is a wonderful way to lull yourself into dreamy bliss
- If all else fails, ask your doctor before you try to self-medicate because you might get some answers there, too
- If you don't get the answers you are looking for, make a change
There you have it. Let us know in the comments if you have any other suggestions. I would love to hear them!
In the meantime, if you want to try the lavender soap in your bath, and get more articles like this once or twice a month to your email, you can sign up here: